Want to travel to Canada?
Let us help you plan the trip of a lifetime and discover the breathtaking beauty of Canada.
- Banff, Alberta, Canada Train Travel Options
- Canadian Train Routes Through The Rockies
- Canada Train Vacation Services on the Rocky Mountaineer
- Canadian Rockies Train Vacations
- Polar Bear Train Tours In Canada
- Canada Train Vacations as Honeymoons
- Vacations in Toronto, Canada by Train
- Tofino, British Columbia, Canada Train Vacations
- Travel by Train to Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
- Halifax, Canada Train Vacations
- Visit The Polar Bear Capital Of The World On Canada Train Tours
- Royal Canadian Pacific Luxury Train Travel (with pictures)
- Canadian Trains in Cinema and Literature
- Canadian Wilderness Tours by Train
- Train Tours to Canada's Hotel Vancouver
- The Chateau Lake Louise
- Canada's Famous Railroad Hotel: Fairmont Banff Springs
- Canada's Chateau Laurier
- Quebec City, Canada's Fairmont Le Chateau Frontenac
- Toronto, Canada's Fairmont Royal York Hotel
Polar Bear Train Tours in Canada
Canada has an incredible variety of plant and animal species which call this country home. A Canadian train tour for your vacation is perhaps the very best way to see the flora and fauna of Canada. Out of all of the Canadian wildlife species you might see as you cross Canada by rail on the train, there is one animal in particular which draws tourists year after year on these tours on their vacation packages and this of course is the Canadian polar bear.
A close relative of the brown bear, the Canadian polar bear has made adaptations which enable it to survive in the harsh climate of the Canadian arctic. In fact, Canada is one of only five countries on Earth where you have the opportunity to see these incredible bears in their natural habitat in Canada. Churchill, MB, Canada (often known by its title 'polar bear capital of the world') is one particularly good spot to see polar bears on your Canadian vacation – the Canadian city lies on the Hudson Bay and is a sort of gathering place for polar bears on their annual migration in the autumn. The sight of polar bears at rest and even at play is one which no animal lover should miss and is perfect for anyone's Canadian vacation.
While polar bears are widely beloved, they are also often misunderstood. The best way to learn about these bears is to see them where they live; which happens to include Canada. There are Canadian train vacation packages available from Canadian Train Vacations which brings you right to Churchill, MB, Canada where you can spend a few days of your Canadian vacation on the tundra observing these majestic arctic bears up close. While you're booking your Canadian train vacation packages, we thought you might like to learn a few interesting facts about Canada's favorite ursine citizens:
- The polar bear is the largest land-dwelling carnivore on the planet and the second largest member of the bear family. An adult male may weigh as much as 1,500 lbs!
- The scientific name for the polar bear is Ursus Maritimus, meaning "maritime bear". Since polar bears spend much of their time at sea while hunting from ice and are excellent swimmers, the name is aptly chosen.
- Polar bears are adapted to survive long, dark, cold winters in the Canadian arctic with their thick layer of blubber, averaging nearly four inches thick!
- Polar bears have a highly developed sense of smell. They can detect the scent of a seal (their favored prey) at up to a mile away and through three feet of snow!
- Unlike most other bears, polar bears do not hibernate in the winter, although expectant mother bears do rest for the winter in a den.
- Despite what you may have heard, polar bears do not cover their black noses with their paws while hunting (though it makes a charming story).
Polar bears are not territorial animals. These bears develop lasting friendships with each other and are even playful on occasion, especially during the autumn migration.
There are all day polar bear sighting tours, allowing you to get close enough to take incredible photos of these majestic animals. You may well be able to experience the unforgettable sight of polar bear cubs at play on these outings! This is a vacation which always ends sooner than you like; but we can help book your next train vacation to see the polar bears.
Talk To A Travel Insider In Canada
Begin your journey and cover any questions you have on a chat with one of our friendly local insiders.
Read more about Our Team of knowledgeable Canadian experts who take care of all your travel details.
Now not a good time? Have us call you back.