Want to travel to Canada?
Let us help you plan the trip of a lifetime and discover the breathtaking beauty of Canada.
- Banff, Alberta, Canada Train Travel Options
- Canadian Train Routes Through The Rockies
- Canada Train Vacation Services on the Rocky Mountaineer
- Canadian Rockies Train Vacations
- Polar Bear Train Tours In Canada
- Canada Train Vacations as Honeymoons
- Vacations in Toronto, Canada by Train
- Tofino, British Columbia, Canada Train Vacations
- Travel by Train to Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
- Halifax, Canada Train Vacations
- Visit The Polar Bear Capital Of The World On Canada Train Tours
- Royal Canadian Pacific Luxury Train Travel (with pictures)
- Canadian Trains in Cinema and Literature
- Canadian Wilderness Tours by Train
- Train Tours to Canada's Hotel Vancouver
- The Chateau Lake Louise
- Canada's Famous Railroad Hotel: Fairmont Banff Springs
- Canada's Chateau Laurier
- Quebec City, Canada's Fairmont Le Chateau Frontenac
- Toronto, Canada's Fairmont Royal York Hotel
Canada's Famous Railroad Hotel: Fairmont Banff Springs
Part of the living Canadian history of the Canadian railway system is the Banff, AB, Canada Fairmont Banff Springs Hotel. Many Canadian hotels were built by the railway as it expanded across the Canadian nation to accommodate passengers on business travel or on Canadian train vacation tours. These Canadian hotels were also intended to serve as celebratory monuments of the Canadian railroad; something they certainly have done and stylishly, at that.
Each of these Canadian grand railway hotels was in itself a Canadian landmark and each is something of a crown jewel of Canadian architecture. The Fairmont Banff Springs Hotel is one of the older railway hotels, having been built in 1888. Located in the heart of the Canadian Rockies, Banff, AB, Canada features spectacular Canadian alpine beauty; as the William Cornelius Van Horne, then Canadian president of the Canada-Pacific Railway put it "If we can't export the scenery, we'll import the tourists".
Van Horne's words were certainly prescient; more than 120 years later, the Fairmont Banff Springs Hotel is still a major draw to Canada for tourists on Canada train vacation tours. It's not only the scenery that brings guests on vacation to the hotel though; like the other Canadian grand railway hotels, the neo-chateau style hotel is an architectural Canadian gem set against the backdrop of Sulphur Mountain. Known as one of the world's premiere luxury resorts ever since opening its doors to guests, the Banff Springs Hotel is as popular of a vacation destination for tourists on Canadian train vacations as ever; as well as a popular vacation destination for local Canadians.
Rebuilt and expanded in 1928 following a fire, the Canadian hotel was originally only open during the warmer months. Following a winterization in 1968, the Banff Springs was ready to remain open year round, something which it has done for the over forty years since, accommodating those wanting winter vacation tours and packages in the Canadian Rockies.
Visitors on vacation to the Banff, AB, Canada area on Canadian train tours often come to see the Fairmont Banff Springs Hotel even if they will be staying elsewhere in Canada. This landmark and piece of living Canadian railway history is one of the biggest Canadian vacation attractions in the Canadian Rockies, though the Banff, AB, Canada region has much more to offer to rail vacationers in the way of natural attractions and recreational tours and opportunities on their Canadian vacation including:
- The Bow Falls – these small waterfalls were featured in the Marilyn Monroe film River of No Return and are situated within walking distance of the hotel
- The Banff thermal springs – located close to the Bow Falls and the source of the hotel's name are something to enjoy on your Canadian vacation
- Mount Rundle – Across the valley from the hotel, Mount Rundle is quite a Canadian sight to behold with its exposed ancient sea beds
- The Banff Springs Golf Course – this Canadian golf course is one of the world's best known. Any golfer will want to make sure to book a tee time to coincide with their Canadian golf vacation by train stopping in Banff, but you don't need to enjoy the game to enjoy the one of a kind view available from the course.
The Canadian grand railway hotels are popular Canadian tourist vacation attractions in their own right; and it's not hard to see why with their architectural Canadian Rockies splendor and historical interest. The Fairmont Banff Springs Hotel enjoys perhaps the most enviable location of all of these historic hotels; and if you're planning a vacation yourself across Canada or through the Canadian Rockies, Banff, AB, Canada is one place you certainly don't want to miss. With many Canadian train vacation package deals available from Canadian Train Vacations; you don't have to miss out on anything on your Canadian vacation packages.
Let us help you book a trip or family vacation package today. Our knowledgeable staff knows how to prepare the ultimate Fairmont Banff experience, and can even help you create a customized, affordable tour of Canada.
Talk To A Travel Insider In Canada
Begin your journey and cover any questions you have on a chat with one of our friendly local insiders.
Read more about Our Team of knowledgeable Canadian experts who take care of all your travel details.
Now not a good time? Have us call you back.