Want to travel to Canada?
Let us help you plan the trip of a lifetime and discover the breathtaking beauty of Canada.
- Banff, Alberta, Canada Train Travel Options
- Canadian Train Routes Through The Rockies
- Canada Train Vacation Services on the Rocky Mountaineer
- Canadian Rockies Train Vacations
- Polar Bear Train Tours In Canada
- Canada Train Vacations as Honeymoons
- Vacations in Toronto, Canada by Train
- Tofino, British Columbia, Canada Train Vacations
- Travel by Train to Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
- Halifax, Canada Train Vacations
- Visit The Polar Bear Capital Of The World On Canada Train Tours
- Royal Canadian Pacific Luxury Train Travel (with pictures)
- Canadian Trains in Cinema and Literature
- Canadian Wilderness Tours by Train
- Train Tours to Canada's Hotel Vancouver
- The Chateau Lake Louise
- Canada's Famous Railroad Hotel: Fairmont Banff Springs
- Canada's Chateau Laurier
- Quebec City, Canada's Fairmont Le Chateau Frontenac
- Toronto, Canada's Fairmont Royal York Hotel
Canadian trains featured in movies and books
Train travel across Canada has long held a place of prominence in the arts, particularly in film and literature; there is a certain romance to traveling across Canada by rail which no other form of transportation can match. There is the soothing, repetitive rail sound of the train making its way over the track, the constantly changing panoramic view out of the windows while you travel across Canada by rail and as anyone who has ever flown in coach knows, a train is one of the most comfortable ways to travel as well. Traveling by rail offers more room to enjoy the Trans Canadian train ride across Canada.
For those of us, Canadian or other, who have grown up with the modern highway system, train travel has an added appeal due to the numerous novels, short stories and movies which feature trains and those on a train vacation. Trains are a staple of Western novels and films as well as in numerous comedies, espionage thrillers, mysteries, romances and even horror films! Even people who have never traveled by rail for a vacation or trips themselves have a relationship with trains through popular culture; as children, toy trains make their appearance to us early on, cementing a positive association with the railways which lasts a lifetime.
While it is the railways of the United States and Europe which have gotten the most attention in popular culture, Canada has a rich history of rail travel and Canadian trains also make appearances in cinema and novels. Just as in other countries, Canadian train vacations have a mystique which is all their own and there is no better way to really see all of the sights while traversing across Canada on the Trans Canadian railway.
Canadian trains are the setting for many films and works of literature, including:
- "The Grey Fox": This is a classic "train robbery" Western film featuring a gentleman train robber in Canada.
- "Festival Express": Festival Express documents a 1970 Canada train tour featuring The Band, Janis Joplin, The Grateful Dead, The Buddy Guy Blues Band and others. There is footage of performances in the cities where the tour stopped (including Toronto, ON, Canada, Winnipeg, MB, Canada, and Montreal, QC, Canada,) as well as some of the Canadian scenery as seen through the windows as the tour made its way across Canada by the trans Canadian train.
- "Iron Road": This film is soon to debut; a story set with the building of the Canada-Pacific Railway which is a tribute to the work of Chinese laborers in building the railroad. One of the most interesting historical Canada train vacation packages is in fact a trip on the original Canada-Pacific railway line from Montreal, QC, Canada, to Port Moody, BC, and Canada.
- "The Edge": British novelist Dick Francis set this story of intrigue, assumed identities and surprising comic touches on a trans Canadian train tour, with much of the novel's action unfolding aboard the train during the trips.
Canadian vacations by train allow travelers to experience a little of the romance of trains while on their Canadian vacation as they appear in popular culture and to see Canada from a perspective which many tourists miss on their vacation and trips across Canada. There's more to Canada train tours than reliving cinematic and literary depictions of rail travel; with so much to see and so many different Canadian train vacation package deals to choose from at CanadianTrainVacations.com, you can make some lasting memories of your very own while on a Canadian vacation across Canada on the rail.
Talk To A Travel Insider In Canada
Begin your journey and cover any questions you have on a chat with one of our friendly local insiders.
Read more about Our Team of knowledgeable Canadian experts who take care of all your travel details.
Now not a good time? Have us call you back.