Want to travel to Canada?
Let us help you plan the trip of a lifetime and discover the breathtaking beauty of Canada.
- Banff, Alberta, Canada Train Travel Options
- Canadian Train Routes Through The Rockies
- Canada Train Vacation Services on the Rocky Mountaineer
- Canadian Rockies Train Vacations
- Polar Bear Train Tours In Canada
- Canada Train Vacations as Honeymoons
- Vacations in Toronto, Canada by Train
- Tofino, British Columbia, Canada Train Vacations
- Travel by Train to Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
- Halifax, Canada Train Vacations
- Visit The Polar Bear Capital Of The World On Canada Train Tours
- Royal Canadian Pacific Luxury Train Travel (with pictures)
- Canadian Trains in Cinema and Literature
- Canadian Wilderness Tours by Train
- Train Tours to Canada's Hotel Vancouver
- The Chateau Lake Louise
- Canada's Famous Railroad Hotel: Fairmont Banff Springs
- Canada's Chateau Laurier
- Quebec City, Canada's Fairmont Le Chateau Frontenac
- Toronto, Canada's Fairmont Royal York Hotel
Canadian train vacations to Halifax, Nova Scotia
While not always the first Canadian rail vacation destination that comes to mind when you think of Canadian train vacations, the Canadian maritime provinces of the Canadian east coast are beautiful places to visit for trips or vacation packages, particularly by rail. Nova Scotia's capital city, Halifax, Canada is a fascinating place to visit with a rich Canadian history and culture that sets it apart from much of the rest of the Canadian nation. Canada train tours which take you across the breadth of eastern Canada including a visit to Halifax, Canada are one of the many ways to experience the country by train suitable to anyone wanting a Canadian vacation or railroad vacation packages.
Halifax, Canada (technically known as the Halifax Regional Municipality) was once a British colonial port and military base, which was largely abandoned following the deportation of French settlers in neighboring Acadia after the Seven Years War. British settlers departed for home or south into the then British colonies, resettling in New York, Massachusetts and as far south as the Carolinas. Many Acadians headed even farther south to the French territory of Louisiana, becoming the ancestors of the gulf coast region's Cajun population.
Following this exodus from Canada, remaining settlers in Halifax, Canada invited immigrants to the Canadian city and the surrounding areas. Newcomers arrived from Germany; the Netherlands from the French territory of Martinique and even from what would soon become the United States. Later waves of immigrants came to Halifax, Canada from Poland, the Ukraine, Syria, Italy and Lebanon. The diverse origins of Halifax's population account for the wide variety of cuisines and cultural influences seen in the Canadian city.
While not nearly as large as the Canadian cities of Toronto, Canada, Vancouver, Canada, or Montreal, Canada, Halifax, Canada is a treasure trove of Canadian history. The first book and newspaper in Canada were published here, the first college in Canada was established in Halifax; even the first formal game of ice hockey to be played in Canada was played in Halifax!
Canadian Train Vacations can provide you with Canadian train vacation packages which include a nine day rail journey across eastern Canada. Starting in Toronto, Canada with visits to and from Montreal, Quebec City, Canada as you ride the rail in comfort on the train across the scenic Canadian east coast, you'll spend two days in Halifax, Canada. While you're visiting Halifax, Canada on your Canadian vacation here are a few things you shouldn't miss:
- Walking tours of historic areas including the Halifax Harbor, Dartmouth and downtown Halifax, Canada, where you'll be charmed by the Canadian city's wealth of Victorian-era architecture, visit one of the country's first major ports and catch a ferry to Dartmouth.
- The Bedford Institute of Oceanography – this is Canada's largest oceanographic research facility, with displays, presentations and aquariums to see. If you're coming on vacation in a group, then guided tours are also available.
- Weather and time permitting, there are many parks and trails in the Canadian Halifax region where you can enjoy hiking, cycling and seeing beaver, muskrat and other Canadian wildlife on your Canadian vacation.
- Dining out – naturally, seafood is the specialty of Maritime Provinces and Halifax, Canada is famous for its incredible Canadian seafood and no visit to this Canadian city would be complete without trying the catch of the day.
Talk To A Travel Insider In Canada
Begin your journey and cover any questions you have on a chat with one of our friendly local insiders.
Read more about Our Team of knowledgeable Canadian experts who take care of all your travel details.
Now not a good time? Have us call you back.